eHorseracing.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > eHorseracing.com Powered Horse Racing Boards > New Players Help Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Couple of Questions (I am a newbie)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
fdllodgeb View Drop Down
Maiden
Maiden

Online Status: Offline
MBP : 0.20
  Quote fdllodgeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Couple of Questions (I am a newbie)
    Posted: 28 May 2020 at 8:49pm
Started playing the game over a month ago. Enjoying it thoroughly realising how many nuances involved. Couple of questions/clarification points:

1. Training - what does it mean 6 days before and after training. Can someone explain this to me. Does it adversely impact the horse's performance if raced during timeframe

2. Racing - When breeding horse how soon can you race them. Do you have to train them couple of times before racing. I was assuming when they have razor blades you can race straightaway.

3. Residence - Does the residence you race in impact your horses and region for breeding.

4. Jockey instructions - Does giving instructions to Jocks work? How does one use this to full effect?

Thanking you friendly community.

Regards
Finlay

Edited by fdllodgeb - 28 May 2020 at 8:52pm
dydalt View Drop Down
Graded Placed
Graded Placed

MBP : 14.00
  Quote dydalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 9:09pm
Firstly, welcome to the game! Always a great feeling to welcome new players and overall it makes the games stronger. We're happy to have you.

1. I believe, and someone can correct me if I am wrong, that it means your horse will be ready to race 6 days prior to and 6 days after the training date. This gives you the ability to train for a certain "time period" rather than a specific day. Especially since the proper placement of a horse is KEY in this game.

2. Freshly bred horses usually come ready to race right away. While the "bred" horse is very new to the stable, it's actually 2 years old in terms of game age. Think of a freshly bred horse as a 2 YO that you received that has been training for racing for a while prior to you receiving it.

3. It doesn't impact anything in the game. Each residence has it's own contests and some regions may be more heavily pushed for residency contests, but overall game impact doesn't change with residency.

4. This is where you will probably get 20 different answers from people that respond. I know some who NEVER change it from "jockey select" meaning the jockey does what they think is best. I know some who set instructions for EVERY horse. It's completely up to you how you handle this. For me personally, I will mostly defer to jockey unless I feel the horse isn't getting what it needs in terms of riding instructions. For instance, if I have a horse that I feel needs to be in the lead and all the jocks are trying to sit off the pace, I will alter the jockey selection. Overall, this is a question that doesn't have a specific answer. You will see some who swear by setting instructions and some who don't do it at all. I've seen success with each of these methods, however.

Once again, welcome, and please reach out with any more questions!!
nextbonus View Drop Down
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

MBP : 137.90
  Quote nextbonus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 2:01am
Welcome! Dydalt gave you excellent advice in all four areas. I will expound on two.

1. See above

2. See above

3. Some residencies restrict their contests to specific tracks. In addition, some residencies encourage breeding in specific states / countries by sponsoring races which are restricted to horses bred there. However, you are free to race any of your steeds anywhere, anytime regardless of which residency you join.

4. Many different opinions out there. Here is the correct one.

Horses are born with a myriad of built in traits including how quickly they develop and how long they last. Among those traits is the tendency to race from behind or toward the front. Scratch breds seem to get theirs randomly. Horses bred from mares strongly tend to inherit the same running style as their dam.

A horse set on jockey select will run however he feels most comfortable. However, his favored style may not be his most effective style.

I start all horses on jockey select. If they tend to race from behind on their own, I leave it. If they tend to go out early and fade late, I set them from 33 to 55. I will leave them at that setting forever if they perform well. If not, I tinker. Do not be afraid to tinker.

Almost everyone who tinkers agree on two things. (1) Most horses race better from behind. Natural speed horses quite often find their best results when being "taught" to come from behind. (2) On the other hand, natural closers cannot be taught to use their speed early. One of two things happen. (1) They are unable or unwilling to get the lead. (2) They show brief speed then stop like a cheap watch.

Ultimately, 80% of my horses end up off jockey select. Your mileage may vary.

Enjoy the ride!

Home of Middle Jewel winning filly You See L A, The SIM version of Rachel Alexandra.
fdllodge20 View Drop Down
Maiden
Maiden

MBP : 0.10
  Quote fdllodge20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 2:31am
Thank you Dydalt & Nextbonus appreciated your advice and knowledge of the game.
lmaris View Drop Down
Maiden
Maiden

MBP : 0.60
  Quote lmaris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 2:43pm
Thanks for asking the questions I was wondering about Fin.

I was coming here to ask specifically about the Jockey instruction.
kyogle View Drop Down
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

MBP : 384.30
  Quote kyogle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 12:42am
The only thing I would add to what is written above is to advise investing a bit of time into jockey selection

In my opinion, it is far more important to land a good jockey, than to burden him/her with instructions. As one of my favourite trainers used to say, "The good don't need 'em, the bad don't heed 'em"

Good luck, and welcome

You'll never 'beat' this game, but the more effort you put in, the greater the rewards
dydalt View Drop Down
Graded Placed
Graded Placed

MBP : 14.00
  Quote dydalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 11:10am
I would agree with Kyogle here-- in the beginning, I would invest more time into getting the BEST jockey rather than getting jockey settings perfect.
 Post Reply Post Reply